As the story goes, the idea of starting a golf club originated with Wendell G. Corthell, who later became Wollaston’s first club president. In 1893 Mr. Corthell invited a few friends and neighbors to his house in Quincy to discuss their favorite pastime. All agreed it would be a nice thing to have a golf course of their own and they set out to enlist the aid of others in the neighborhood. This small group emerged as the founders of a golf club.
The club was reorganized in 1895 and became known as the Wollaston Golf Club. Francis Ouimet would often play the Quincy course for his practice rounds prior to competing in the British Opens and Amateurs. He found the windy conditions and the wide variety of topography well suited for the preparation needed to compete overseas.
In October of 1969, at a meeting of the Membership of Wollaston Golf Club, it was voted to acquire 152 acres in neighboring Milton. The transaction was complete one month later and the members of the Wollaston Golf Club soon after constructed their new championship course with the aid of a grant from the Norfolk County Bureau of Outdoor Recreation. In the spring of 1975 the Clubhouse was open to the membership and the following spring all 18 holes had been constructed. Club Championship and Fallon Cup Tournaments in 1976 were all contested at the new course.
The golf course, designed by golf architects George and Tom Fazio, has played host to a number of championships over the years. One of the most recent was the 1992 U.S. Junior Championship which was the second of three that Tiger Woods won.
The contributions of the Membership of the present as well as the past are our greatest asset. Wollaston Golf Club is a club of men and women who, through their love of the game, continue to improve upon the history of our club for future generations.
(Taken in part from the Wollaston Golf Club Centennial Celebration 1895-1995 book)